Monday, April 30, 2012

Home at last


April 30
Home again.  This reentry has been much more difficult than anticipated.  It is great to see family and friends, but the pace here and the traffic wears me out.  When I am in Laguna Canyon or Heisler Park, I am all right and completely at peace.  Otherwise, I feel “off” similar to how it feels when one’s clothes are on backwards.  My yard and house have lots of deferred maintenance so it is difficult to feel relaxed. Trees need pruning, the dishwasher is not working properly, the garage door is broken, a shower head has clogged up.  I will tackle one thing at a time so I don’t get overwhelmed.  Plus, I have been imagining the interior re-painted in a different palette—so that is on my “to do” list.
I am finally unpacked, laundry and dry cleaning done. I can’t seem to adjust to the closet space and bedroom organization—so I will be rearranging things soon.
I had a very intense dream during my first two weeks in London that has haunted me since.  I believe I finally have some insight about what it was.
The dream:  I needed surgery again on my left eye.  Coming out of surgery, the ophthalmologist reported that they had to go in through my forehead.  Looking in the mirror I see that there is an egg shaped large hole in my forehead that exposes my brain.  Feeling vulnerable, I am uncertain that it will be a good idea to walk around with this opening in my head.  The interesting part is how the brain looks.  It is a series of shapes and colors that change with my thoughts.  Some little barbell yellow lights, some pink rods, some Kelly green circles, some purple spurs, etc.  With every thought the lights shift and change colors.  It is quite amazing.
Now, I realize the dream was about the process of blogging--having the travel experience through my eyes reflected back out for strangers and friends alike to peek through.  All the stimulation of my experience exposed and made visible for anyone.  It created a very odd sensation at some deep level.
A dozen or so goldfinch are currently waging a battle in my back yard birch with a pair of purple finch.  The bird feeders are empty and have been since January, so I am curious what the attraction is.  Not only does it create a pleasing site for the eyes, but their twills and chirps are a soft start to the day.

In a week or so, I will give a grand finale reflecting on the whole experience.  Currently, I am "whelmed" (on the edge of overwhelmed, but not over the top) with the adjustment to life in the States.  I must say that the state of the "news" here is pathetic.




No comments:

Post a Comment