Friday, March 30, 2012

Happy 67th Birthday, Eric Clapton. 3.30.12, Friday

Eric Clapton:  not God (as he once called himself), but one of the best guitarists in my lifetime. What a life, what a talent, and a what story of resurrection and redemption.

London is beautiful again today with record heat.  Lest anyone think we have been too lucky, rest assured: the ten day forecast predicts showers (rain and SNOW) by Easter.  I can't really wrap my head around that and find it hard to believe.
These magnolia trees are blooming all over North London along with plum, peach, almond and cherry trees.  Absolutely delicious fragrances abound. So strong it is almost an  assault on the senses.  Add to that picture the chorus of birds that sing from dawn to slightly after dusk.  It is fantastic celebration of Springtime.  So, too, are the window displays in the candy stores, bakeries, and dress shops--all manner of little chicks, ducks and bunnies.
I believe this is the first time in more than 40 years that I did not color Easter eggs.  Bummer. Keep in mind that I have been known to color eggs in autumn for decorations, too. I have looked, but no egg coloring kits to be found.  The grocery here sells colored hard boiled eggs, but that misses ALL the fun of Easter eggs. I guess the Brits did not get the memo telling them to never expect anyone to want to eat the colored, boiled eggs.

Our inequality class visited Harrod's yesterday to do some pricing of items. One group had to price out ingredients for a dinner party of eight guests.  Another a baby layette, another a week's career wardrobe, etc. It was very interesting outing.  I was reluctant to take photos knowing most retailers do not permit it.  I did manage, however, to snap a few in the Food Hall (we would call it a food court).

A mere £9 ($13) gives one a half teaspoon taste of caviar.  And, for those with a real hankering, the menu offers a heaping tablespoon of special caviar £155 ($220).


The seafood section is overpowering--in its selection.  Notice the tile work and sculpture to signify we are now in the fish section.
The waiter at the little counter approached to tell me I could have whatever my heart desired--even if it were not on the menu.  I told him that I have friend coming next week and I would return, although I doubted she will want to eat at the oyster bar.  He promised that Shannon could have any combination of food and wine from the food hall and he would arrange for us to sit together at the Oyster Bar.  How accommodating!  And, at the prices one would expect such service.
 The sculpture over the game meats.
And the meats: Warning to my Vegetarian readers--close eyes for next two photos.

The £9.95 price seems reasonable until you see that is is per 100g (about 3.5 oz or less than a fourth of a pound for chuck roast.
There was sign above this counter offering that Harrod's butcher would pick "Wine for your swine" if asked.

I really enjoy the decor at Harrod's.  Here are some of the tile walls in the Food Hall.
And, their cooked hens.


I am really pleased with most of the group projects students are producing in Inequality class.  Powerful, well-researched, engaging, and showing an application of course concepts to their observations in London.  I love it when they teach me things and entertain me.  Very good accomplishments.


Off to the Monmouth Coffee Company for some beans and a latte.


It is simply the best.  Here is an excerpt from their webpage.

We started roasting and retailing coffee here in 1978 and built a sampling room for our customers to try our coffees before buying beans. We moved roasting out of Covent Garden in 2007 and our coffee is now delivered every day from our site in Bermondsey.  We make single cone filter coffee and espresso based drinks. 
Our organic Jersey whole milk is from Jeff Bowles in Somerset and our organic whole cane sugar from Assukkar, Costa Rica.
We have pastries from the bakeries Little Bread Pedlar, Paul and Violet and in the colder months, we have fresh cream truffles from Sally Clarke and single-origin chocolate from François Pralus and Original Bean.

Why they are not open in the evenings (in the West End near the theaters?), is a mystery.
Now that article revisions are in Berna's hands, I will brave Friday rush hour on the tube for this treat--that says how special it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment