Saturday, March 31, 2012

Last day of March, 2012

Well, the day was glorious despite the autumnal weather--crisp, brisk and chilly. The Brits do engage in whimsey, and there is a 2012 Easter Egg Hunt that drew my attention a couple weeks ago with 2-3 foot designer eggs displayed here and there around town.  Here is note on the charity event.
The grand prize for finding all 200 eggs (and texting in) is a gold faberge egg worth 100000 British Pound Sterling.  So, with our paper submitted to the Journal Editor, I was free for the day and set out to find as many eggs as I could.
I started in Covent Garden to buy coffee and found two eggs.
Plus, got a great cuppa coffee.
Egg 2 from other side

I remembered seeing eggs in  Green Park last week, so I surmised that a walk from Lanceister Gate in Hyde Park to Buckingham Palace and through Green Park would be a treasure tove.  It was not, but I was great birds and flowers on the 2 mile walk.

So here are a few of the birds along the Serpentine Walk. The most notworthy being the heron which is barely visible in my shot.
I love how comfortable the birds are in the middle of a city of 7M people.
I chose one path and is was lovely, but not a hiding place of eggs.
I deliberately avoided the Palace which reopens today after extensive renovation.  It is now the home of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
And the park was brimming with geese of all ages and types.

And here is the heron on the other shore.  It is at 10 o'clock from the second full piling.  He waited there a long time, with me hoping for an in-flight departure, but no.  He stayed put.

The gardens are lovely in Hyde park right now, despite the turn to chill.
Around the Italian fountains, things are a bit more formal than  the path by the "Rotton Road."
The "Rotton Road" is the horse path through the park and is far less manicured.
Still, not an egg in sight.
There were, however, two signals of British optimism: a swimmer in the chill and inviting deck chairs set out by the boats.
I also enjoyed the Memorial Fountain to Dianna, Princess of Wales.  The first time I saw it, I was unimpressed, but today I walked around the whole fountain and found its sounds and its granite very soothing and beautiful.
I continue to be amused and amazed at how dogs have free reign in the parks.  Today, I came across the Dog Rules sign that explains much of this.
 Of course, I am certain that Londoners would agree that Dogs Ride Inside.
I walked through the Gates at Hyde Corner.

Then I crossed Hyde Corner and through Wellington Arch.

Certainly, Buckingham Palace would have eggs???
Well, no.  The 2002 War Memorial to Indian, Caribean and African troops is very impressive.
Very touching and very astounding that so many Indians, Caribeans and Africans lost their lives fighting for the British crown in both world wars.
I missed the changing of the Guard.  Another day.


And, then headed through Green Park, where I KNEW there were more eggs. And sure enough.
And off to see what the Knight bridge and Kensington neighborhoods had to offer.
And a few more.
And the last eight--alas, I could not find 200 eggs.
So, with that, I was cold, hungry and ready to go home.  Took the less direct tube route to stop at the market and saw some street art.
And, after marketing I walked home and spotted a sight that always makes me smile.  On Pilgrim's Lane, Mr. Magoo parks his red car and plugs it in for electricity.  The shape of this vehicle is exactly as I remember from the old cartoon.  
It is funny be half when you see the cord.
So, the next big decision is whether to stay in reading a book with hot tea--or--take in a cinema where I could also sip hot tea.  
The weather today convinced me that we could see snow.  It was really cold, drizzly and not as cold as what the wind is blowing in for the week.
There is a recital tomorrow for Palm Sunday at St. Giles that promises to be a delight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment