Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday, January 30

What a wonderful start to the day: waking up naturally at 7 before the alarm and taking off for a walk before breakfast.  The heath was muddy, but alive with birds, dogs, walkers and joggers.  Here are a few photos from my hour walk.
There are many paths and trails that wind through the 800 acres.
Some wide open spaces and some thick woods.
Of course, there is a great panorama of the city views from Parliament Hill.
One the way home, I stopped for veggies and walked past Keat's house.  It is about 2 blocks from my flat. As you can see, I landed in a pretty posh neighborhood.
Here is a clearer shot of the house which is open to public on weekends.
And, because it is a landmark here in the neighborhood, I bring you a photo of Eon Goldfinger's home.  It is the modern one, seen in background, which Ian Fleming thought a monstronsity.  Fleming fought the architect, lost, and for revenge, he named a villian in his James Bond series, "Goldfinger."
There are birds here I have never seen in addition to the swans, heron, crow, several varieties of ducks, and kingfishers.  
Here is the kingfisher like the many ones seen near the ponds.


There is one stunning, passerine (perching songbird), the size of a fat blue jay, which is mostly white with a wide powder blue stripe and grayish-black wings.The Royal Bird Society guide suggests it might be a great gray shrike.  Hope to get a better look tomorrow. Why didn't I bring binoculars?

For that matter, what is really missing is a good set of speakers for the Ipod.  Music is a missing element as there are only so many hours earbuds remain comfortable.  Next time I won't forget speakers. (I am now hoping to come back in a couple years and do this again).

It seemed like a good idea to pop a load of towels in the washer while I did a few hours of work.  Four hours later, the dryer is still tossing around damp towels.  Next time I need to find a fluff and fold to do heavy laundry AND perhaps learn to use a towel more than once, although that goes deeply against the grain.

And, here is dinner and lunch tomorrow.  Notice the packaging information--slow growth chicken.

And, yes, three tiny breasts with skin are 6.54 British Pound Sterling or the equivalent to $10.26.

Have a wonderful in sunny California while my hands and toes make me aware of every bone and joint in this cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment