Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday, February 11th

It was a day of self-imposed captivity in my little cell as I forced myself to work on article revisions in a systematic way.  I am also behind in getting Theresa some cogent thoughts on our curricular collaboration for the National Association of School Superintendents—which  will be completed tomorrow. 

Much of the day, therefore, was spent chasing down rabbit holes in academic journals looking for evidence to refute or substantiate our assertions about gendered  patterns of health disparities in ethnic minority groups.  I reached the saturation point.  Sadly, and perhaps evidence of either my bias or a rigid mind, I think the article we submitted is really a good piece of work.  I will sleep on it, but my inclination is to double-down on what we said about women by adding more citations. The other critiques are more easily addressed with minor revisions.



Thankfully, it was a cheerful, sunny day to work in the flat.  The brightest day we have had. Conveniently, the landlord owns a number of buildings in this neighborhood and gave me the key to a basement four houses away that has a washer/dryer in basement.  I managed only one load of wash because the dryer took 2 hours and the load included only one towel. I made the mistake of taking my bathrobe to the fluff and fold since I knew it would take a day to dry in this place.  It was 19 pounds (roughly $27!!!) when I picked it up.  Won't do that again.

Molly, is visiting mother this weekend.  Molly—the yellow roses are for Cita—tell her they are for Valentine’s Day wishes to her as I didn’t get around to sending flowers.  She’ll have to settle for a card this year which I trust has arrived.

 The man at the flower stall threw in some hyacinths for me as a bonus in recognition of my abiding joy in their fragrance.  I take a whiff of the hyacinths whenever I leave the tube and pass his stall.  

My garden is dormant at home, but great news for me--my worms have been adopted.  Nora and Sean took pity on my can of worms and moved the whole vermiculture system to their house to tend for the wigglers and feed them in my absence.  I am so delighted as I knew Kathleen would never take compost from kitchen cutting to the garden.  Now the worms have a happy home and the Griffins' garden can experience worm tea and worm castings.  They will be changed for the better. I promise. It is very, very hard for me to get in the habit of tossing peels, cores and cuttings in the trash.  There is no disposal and the rubbish sorting here is crazy.

Tomorrow, I plan to go to Camden Town circus to visit the 99 pence store. I am hoping to find those little candy hearts with corny sayings on them so I can give the students little boxes on Tuesday.   Apparently, those boxes of 30 valentine cards for children are a US thing as they are nowhere to be found here.  Bummer, as they provide such a great point of discussion about kids’ culture:  how children make meaning of symbols through their peer interaction that create realities which are invisible to adults.  Halloween and Valentine’s Day being best example of children’s meaning-making activities that adults just don’t “get.”

I promise tomorrow to have pictures that are more exciting than my ceiling.  But today was limited to interior meanderings.  Hugs and good wishes.   Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment