Saturday, February 25, 2012

Saturday, February 25


Crocus are peeking up in lawns and cracks in the sidewalks.  These little yellow, white and purple dashes of color are such a hopeful sign that today’s warm weather was not a fluke.  


There are narcissus flowers popping out, too, with their paper white fragrance in the strangest places. Before I left the flat this morning, the sun was beating in so warmly, that I opened all the windows to get fresh air circulating.

What a change.  The light this morning comes at a slightly different angle with much more intensity.  And, this afternoon, the slant of the light reminded me of autumn in Southern California—rather shadowy and long with a slightly purplish hue.  I was able to go to my late morning meeting in a tee-shirt and skirt, although I brought a sweater along just in case.

Last evening I met Cheryl’s UCI professor friend for dinner at a Turkish restaurant near London Bridge.


Friday nights there were like mid-town Manhattan on a Friday.  Lots of bankers in suits drinking on sidewalks, waiting for tables (or maybe just drinking), couples hustling about, packs of 20 something year olds prowling while the restaurants pulsated with music, laughter and chatter.  Think Las Vegas strip with a business crowd to the 10th power.  It is a very different scene than here in posh Hampstead.
 
We had a very enjoyable meal before the place got completely rowdy.  We shared a lamb dish and a broccoli stewed with grapes (I know it sounds unlikely, but it was delish).  We had a jolly laugh over sharing the same experience with a certain physics professor from UCI we both know.  Hilarious to me!  AneeJay—if you are reading this: think about the first time I had St. Patrick’s dinner at your house and my appalling, paralyzing experience.  Apparently, that is his signature reputation, which eclipses his literary and scientific accomplishments.  Who knew?

On the way home, on the walk from the tube in Hampstead down Flask Walk, it was late enough that the jazz combo was playing at the pub.  I took an expresso and chocolate cake to justify my lingering and it was a nice experience.  There was a standup bass, a piano, a drummer and a sax.  There was also a vocalist (although nothing to write home about).  All white guys over 50 who were technically competent if not creative.



This morning after my meeting and errands to keep body and soul together, I took the tube back to Chalk Farm to look for a Persian restaurant I spotted the other day that offered a lovely plate for 4 pounds.  It was a late lunch, early dinner and really good lamb with balsamic rice, yogurt sauce, cucumber/tomato salad, grilled veggies and something wrapped in grape leaves. 


 I walked much of the way home until the chill in the air suggested that the bus would be a splendid idea.

Nancy is considering a trip to London in late March.  I think I convinced her about how much there is to do—but, more importantly how international the population is so that she will not be intimidated by (or, alternatively disgusted by) the Brits.  They are in the minority in the City.  Her possible visit is welcome news to me.  We’ll have fun.  She can enjoy my favorite meetings except the one I stumbled into a few times that I later discovered was intended for MSM.

It is almost 6 pm now and the sky is a blue violet in the twilight.  The Easter lilies gave the flat the familiar aroma and I am physically tired, but extremely content.  The lifestyle here agrees with me and so does the weather.

I must remember when I return home to walk often and farther than I do.  It really feels good. My son-in-law, AC, calls these “short dog” workouts where there is a burst of energy required for short times.  Here, everything is a 15-20 minute walk from tube or bus stop so in any day, it is normal to have  4-6  walks of 15-20 minutes.  Walking 2 hours a day at home (all at once or in spurts) would improve my overall well being.  And, of course, here one carries all groceries, laundry, etc. rather than driving somewhere.  All in all, it is a good thing.

I am surprised how content I am living here.  There are a couple people in my thoughts often that I miss seeing.  And, I miss Kathleen and AC.  I hope my Mom continues to feel good.  I can’t truthfully say I miss the dogs (I don’t).  I don’t yet miss digging in the dirt, either, which is a real surprise.  I do miss Chrystal Cove, Heisler Park and I yearn for the opportunity to cook and entertain again.


Here is how the Hampsteaders get their milk, bread and water.  The trolley always makes me smile.





The other side is full of glass milk bottles.
Hope y'all have a great weekend.
I am fighting a bug, so I'll retire early tonight





No comments:

Post a Comment